Pages

Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Beauty in Disarray

I know that this may not be as bright and cheery and colorful as some of my other posts, but I find the topic intriguing.  Yesterday I was talking to a friend about a trip she had taken to Detroit earlier this year.  She said that the city, at least in comparison to others she has visited, was run down and that many of the buildings were deserted.  This spiked my curiosity and naturally I followed up by doing a google search.  I typed in "ruins of detroit" and found a website called Yves Marchand & Romain Meffre.  The site contained a five year study in photography that resulted in an exhibit entitled The Ruins of Detroit.  Here are some of the pictures from the exhibit.  I think it's possible to find beauty even amidst so much disarray.

United Artists Theater

William Livingstone House

 Ballroom, American Hotel

Ballroom, Lee Plaza Hotel

Michigan Central Station

Jane Cooper Elementary School, Spring 2008

Jane Cooper Elementary School, Spring 2009

Woodward Avenue

I should probably follow up this post by saying that I have never visited Detroit and that these photographs are not an accurate portrayal of the entire city.  But nevertheless, I was very intrigued, almost inspired, by them.  If you were too you can check out the entire display here.

No comments:

Post a Comment