I've always considered summer to be the months of June, July, and August. None of this June 21st through September 21st business. Since when does it still feel like summer on September 21st? Since never. With my impeccable math skills, I count that out to be 13 weeks. Thirteen weeks of summer sun and lots of time outdoors. Even though I now have a full time job and summer isn't quite as magical as it was when I was going to school, there's still something about this time of year. Last night I looked outside at 9 pm and smiled at the fact that it was still light out. I mean, how wonderful is that?
So to commemorate the change in seasons, I thought I would make a list of goals for this summer. Thirteen of them to be exact. One for each week. Some are simple and some are big, but I'm crossing my fingers I'll accomplish them all over the next three months.
1. Travel to St. Louis to visit friends and see Mumford & Sons. (!!!) This one is already in the works and I am so excited.
2. Take five minutes out of each and every day to write down or think of things I'm thankful for.
3. Read at least 3 books. Lean In and The Paris Wife are both on my list. Any other recommendations?
4. Go on a picnic. And in general, dine al fresco as often as possible.
5. Find a job that I love.
6. Try at least 3 new recipes.
7. Go to happy hour after work. A few times. This may seem simple but with my schedule during the week it's tough. But how fun is happy hour on a perfect summer night? Super fun.
8. Go to a movie in the park. One of my favorite summer activities.
9. Check my phone less. I'm looking at you G-mail, Twitter, and Instagram.
10. Redesign the blog. Or at least update it. My to do list for daydreamer is pretty long, and I think I've been avoiding it for that very reason.
11. Take a trip to my favorite city. Chicago, I miss you.
12. Go to an outdoor festival or fair. In Minneapolis I love the State Fair, the Uptown Art Fair, and the Basilica Block Party, to name a few.
13. See a fireworks show. Or two or three.
What are you most looking forward to doing this summer?